Thursday, August 19, 2010

Garden Dinner #1



A feast from the fields.


The best little tomato toasts ever.


Zucchini Quiche

August is upon us and that means tomatoes and zucchini are abundant in the garden.
If you are stumped for ways to use them up these were two tasty options that Matt and I enjoyed this week. We have beautiful heirloom tomatoes in our garden, and I can honestly say that when I am eating them I can't think of anything that tastes better. I licked the juice out of the bowl when these were gone. You can use any ripe, locally-grown tomatoes that you can get your hands on. They must be local... the ones that travel on trucks are incapable of the flavour that these beauties possess.
To fully enjoy their flavour, we simply tossed them with a bit of olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic (only 1 small clove or 1/2 a big one), and fresh basil. Pile them on toasty bread and devour.

As for the zucchini, I am compelled to make this quiche ever summer because I was raised on it!
My mom has made this for as long as I can remember and it is the best quiche I have ever had. What makes it so good is the ratio of yummy veggies and cheese to eggs. There are only 2 eggs in the whole thing, so you get all the sweet zucchini flavour in every bite.

Recipe:

Zucchini Quiche


  • 4 cups sliced zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • big pinch salt and lots of cracked pepper
  • 2-4 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (parsley and oregano would also be good)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups grated mozzarella (I would think Asiago would also be delish)
  • 1 eight inch pie crust (my mom sometimes used puffed pastry instead... oh yeah!)
  • a couple Tbsp dijon mustard (don't ask, just do)
Spread mustard over unbaked pie crust.
In a pan, lightly saute zucc. and onion in some butter until soft.
Let cool slightly. If the zucchini are really watery drain some liquid off.
Mix in spices and herbs, cheese, and eggs.
Pour filling in pie shell.
Bake for 20 - 30 min (depends on your oven) @ 375 until set.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment