Thursday, September 12, 2013

SOLE MEUNIERE




Apparently Sole Meuniere was the dish that got Julia Childs into French cooking. I stumbled apon this recipe one day after I had purchased some Sole on sale only to arrive home with no idea how to cook it.  So I googled around and found this simple recipe for Sole Meuniere, and I happened to have everything in stock-it has quickly become my son's favorite.  I am sure it would turn out even better if I was using wheat flour, but still had success with Rice flour.  I might try using Besan (chickpea) flour next and will update this post with the results.  Capers are inexpensive pickled Mediterranean flower buds, but if you don't have any, I have used diced green olives in a pinch with just as much success.
The results are a wonderfully simple dish with an amazing buttery, salty, lemony sauce that compliments the fish perfectly.

Here's the skinny on my version of a simple Sole Meuniere

What I used:


4 large filets of Soul
3/4 cup of superfine rice flour (or Wheat, or any blend of GF flour)
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Pepper
1 lemon zested+juiced
3/4 cup of finely chopped fresh parsely
1/2 cup butter/subsitute
1/4 capers (I have also used green olived dieced fine as a sub and it worked fine)
1/2 dry white wine



What I did:

1. Mix the salt and pepper with the flour and powder the fillets
warm a tablespoon of the butter and fry the fillet.  They cook fast as Sole is a delicate fish

2. Place the fillets on a warm plate while you make the sauce

3. Once the fish is removed throw the remaining butter in a pan and let sizzle,

4. Add the parsely and fry for a minute or two

5. Add the Lemon Juice (about half a cup) let it sizzle

6. Add the white wine and capers and let it render down a smidge or two

7. Add 1/2 the lemon zest

8. Bend over and smell this concoction.

9. Pour over the fish and serve.

 Enjoy,

comment if you tried it and made any variations.

1 comment: